None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Naxx IT IS UPON US!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Naxx IT IS UPON US!!!

Post  SmokeGSU on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:04 am

I plan on raiding the picture thread for pics of Frost asap and my current lvl for wanting to see those pics is 65.
SmokeGSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keljaedon on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Am I this post Nazi!??! I can sooo play that role! I'm also semi here...soon to be back in WoW and on Ventrillo to be annoying. All in time my friends...all in time.
Keljaedon
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:53 am

Who are you again?

;O
Ulalume

Location : Breezing through Ulduar while reasearching the next patch.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keljaedon on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:03 am

Your Mom!
Keljaedon
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Svander on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 am

Did four quarters of Naxx last night with Frostine and co. Took the death knight and was the first time I'd been in there, never saw the raid back when it was in Azeroth.

Holy crap we spent a long time doing that. Went to bed around 5am central, but it was hugely interesting to learn all those fights. Got a few minor upgrade loots too. Thanks all!

Svander

View user profile http://fiercepancake.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokeGSU on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Twas fun. Really wish I'd been able to stay for it all but jeez 5am central would mean you guys finished 6am my time and I can't imagine enough coffee or energy drinks could have kept me awake that much longer as tired as I was when I left. It was cool to see the boss fights I did get to participate in though. And I think I'm going to do DPS from now on and not even bother trying to tank considering my current tanking gear isn't really good enough for heroics, so I'm always added as DPS and I'm not allowed to roll for tank gear that I need. So yeah, seems pointless to try and be a tank when I'm always asked to come as a DPS cause of my crappy tank gear and I can't get the tank gear I need in said raids because I went as DPS instead of tank and can't roll on said tank gear anyways. Did that even make any sense? I dunno, I'm tired and going to bed.
SmokeGSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lirixia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am

I think the latest I stayed up for Naxx was 4 am...interesting though, very different from the Kara days-but very happy to hear that you all did well and got your upgrades---Smokey you're still a tank in my eyes ^_^

....zomg, the last time I went is pretty much sums up to: wipes=very sad and very broke Crying or Very sad Pugs are funny to roll with, especially listening to the raid leaders yell at everyone to not die no matter what lol Rolling Eyes but makes me <3 the guildies even more---yay for being semi-sane in raids cheers

*points to Malygos* You're next Twisted Evil
Lirixia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 pm

LOL have fun with Malygos! That guy is tough as steel! The whole fight is one huge dance of intricate coordination you HAVE to have people that work together to win that one. You won't find that kind of coordination in a pug. People have to be on point for Maly. That and everyone has to be above 18k health and you need a tank that can take massive damage and also move appropriately when the sparks appear in phase one. Also if you didn't like the occulous or struggled with the last boss in OC then you will NOT do well in phase three ot Maly because you are all on drakes that have weird attacks that must be used correctly. Maly is a ^&%$# and I've only gotten him to 14% before he wiped us. But his time will come I can taste his demise.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Svander on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:01 am

Yeah, the whole deal about only being able to roll for a certain spec is fubar. I totally hear you being in a raid to get gear, DPSing because you dont have all the tank stuff you would need and not being allowed to roll on it when it drops. Or vice versa. Players should be able to roll on anything their class can use because its so easy to change spec and soon will be easier.

As far as I'm concerned, for a death knight there is no "tanking" tree and pretty much any spec is potentially tanking spec if you have a few of the helpful talents. The main difference is what armor I have on at the moment and what presence I am in. I certainly wouldnt spend the 50g to min/max the DPS and mitigation on a DK on most days.

Anyway, I got a nifty DPS chest piece in Naxx on Saturday night. And as luck would have it, I ran a Vault 10 man on Tuesday and two DK pieces dropped - and I was the only DK. I got the T7 chest piece which is even better than the epic gear from Naxx which only lasted me all of 3 days!

Svander

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 pm

I can see the sense in only having tanks roll on tank gear. Unlike dps tanks are more hard to come by and have more stringent gear requirements then dsp classes. It is hard to gear up a tank and when a tank piece drops in naxx it should only be the OT and MT rolling on it. If they don't get the piece because it is a total open roll it weakens the raid because your tanks are less geared than they should be or could be. If you are serious about tanking then you should work your tank up from the bottom by getting the defense and stam gear to do heroics and then pick up the heroic gear that drops for tanks as well as the T7 badge gear and pick the tanking set for it. Then you are geared as a tank, can enter naxx as an OT or MT and roll on the gear because you are a tank. Also, the kind of training you go through in heroics as a tank lends itself to you tanking in naxx. I think it's necessary that to work up from the bottom to tank. You should be tanking heroics before OTing naxx and you should be OTing before you start MTing. At each stage you learn what your responsibilities are and sharpen your skills. It may take longer and involve more training but as a tank you need that training because you have so much looming over your head; you are responsible for being able to hold the mobs back, know and be able to explain the boss fights, as well as communicate with your MT or OT to come up with a strategy to reach your goals.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Svander on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 am

Shrug. Still, whether I'm DPSing or tanking in a group just depends on what is needed at the time. But I DO both. So if a tanking piece drops when at the moment I am DPSing, and I cant roll that blows because I may just as likely be the tank next time. I carry two sets of gear on me at all time.

Svander

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:47 pm

I do both too and I understand that it's less then fun being a tank one night and only being able to roll on tank gear and being a dps the next night and only being able to roll on dps gear; it makes gearing up either set a incredibly time consuming and somewhat depressing. My suggestion is to pick one as primary; pick the role you want to play and gear heavily towards that, say that you are a tank (or dps) and gear the hell out of that one role. There is that or you could be incredibly lucky and be in a guild that understands you do both roles really well and thus allow you to roll on both sets of gear because they use you equally for both roles. Although I still think that if there are tanks tanking and you are dpsing in the raid you shouldn't roll on the tank gear because that is not your role in the raid and its smarter to gear up your tanks then let everyone roll on any piece of loot they want. There have been several times that a low drop tank piece has shown up in my raids and I passed the item to the MT simply because he is the MT despite me needing it for my tank set.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokeGSU on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 am

Here's the problem with that though Id. In my case, I geared and spec'd my DK so that he could be a tank. Problem is I don't have nearly enough good gear to tank raids, or really even heroics for that matter (even though I'm def capped), so I can't go on these raids (by raids I mean instances or actual raids) as MT or even OT and I get invited along as DPS all the time, even though the majority of my gear is tank gear. Now how am I supposed to be getting the tank gear I need to do raids when I can't roll on it because I'm not invited as a tank because, as earlier stated, my gear isn't good enough to tank? If I'm wanting to focus on tanking I can't get the gear anyways cause I can't roll on it. I think we just need to do guild only raids without any pugs that way we can bend these retarded rules to what's best for our guild/group at the time. Taking that Naxx run the other week, I think if we hadn't of had those 3 pugs in the group I'd of been allowed to roll on that tanking piece I really needed.
SmokeGSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:21 am

Here is what I did Smoky.
1. I looked at the article from tank spot that showed me where I could get D cap started gear and got that gear.
2. I pugged the shit out of heroics in that gear and did well. It was painful, lots of wipes, many days I got nothing but a huge repair bill but I my skills got sharpened and I saved my badges. I got some purples, badge trinkets , T7 badge gloves for tanking as well as got my name out there that I was a competent tank.
3. At that point I was asked by some of the people I tanked for to DPS 10 man Naxx and 25 man Naxx (I got lucky with 25 man naxx). I was NOT allowed to roll on anything accept DPS drops and Tier gear. I managed to get some nice DPS loots, my valours chest token and my heros leg token.
4. I used my tokens to purchase T7/ T7.5 tanking peices. With those T7/ 7.5 peices I had an alomst epiced out tank set with 26k health unbuffed, I was ready to raid tank.
5. At that point one of the people I pugged for invited me to their guild as a DPS. One day thier OT fucked up I stepped up to the plate with my geared tank set and cemented my role as an OT. Since then I've been allowed to tank or dps when I want and roll on both sets of loot.

In short, its a matter of strategizing and using your tier tokens wisely. Skill and networking is also a factor in getting to where you want to be. So go to tank spot, get the starter gear, and go pugg heroics until you either are geared and invited to tank a raid or get enough badges for tier tokens.
You need to take a step back and think HEROICS not raids, until you have some purples or deacent heroics blues. You can't just hit 80 and expect to go raiding, the main idea of the game is preperation. You need to prepare you char by doing the lower instances to sharpen skills and get the gear needed to raid.

If you have any questions or would like me to help you get the peices you need through heroics, im farming them as of right now and wouldn't mind if you wanted to tag along. So feel free to msg Ulalume in game and I'd be glad to help ^^. Happy hunting.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokeGSU on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks for the advice and the help offer Very Happy. I actually do alot of reading over at Tank Spot and I have all of the starter blues (or better) that the topic you're referring to mentioned getting. The only green I have is a trinket that I would have replaced if I'd of been allowed to roll on that tank trink that dropped in Naxx the other week. I think I'm mostly geared for tanking heroics, though here's my armory for Kaed if you want to check it out:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dark+Iron&n=kaedance

I definately understand the mechanics behind why you should roll for what spec you came to an instance for, and you don't want to give people an excuse to roll on gear for an off spec they aren't even going to use, or they say they need it for their off spec and then they sell it or disenchant it, that's definately not cool. I think me and Svander are on the same page where if you really do need something, whether you came as DPS even if you're really a tank or not, you should get to roll on it. We're all trying to get our gear as quickly as possible for end game and all that, and I don't really think one should be denying another the right to roll on a piece of equipment that they need when they put just as much effort into getting that drop as the next person.
SmokeGSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:50 am

There is no such thing as quick and easy gear. I have spent 2 months getting Ula geared the way she is and it was a non stop ride. I have not fucked around and it was a hard road. The people who wear the good gear have taken the time to earn it; quick gear= greens and blues the purps take blood sweat and tears.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokeGSU on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:44 pm

I never said gear was easy to get or quick to get, but I did say we'd all like to get our gear as quickly as possible because unless I'm the only guy who feels this way, I'd prefer not to play with my blues for 2 months without getting new gear or feel like I'm advancing in anyway. The game is fun and all but I don't cherish the thought of just playing it with what I have currently for weeks on end for shits and giggles. I think if somebody doesn't mind playing the game for a very long extended amount of time with sub-par gear and no worries about getting geared they obviously have more free time to play than me cause I'd rather spend more time not wiping in instances due to my gear being insufficient than otherwise :p
SmokeGSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Svander on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46 am

someone just clued me in on this site http://be.imba.hu/

it audits your character and makes suggestions on gear, enchants, etc

Nyctalope is scoring about 401 right now in my tanking equipment. Not bad...

Svander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lirixia on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 am

Yeah I knew about that site pre WOTLK and it's pretty nifty in guiding you to tweak up your pve stats; only thing im having trouble with is getting the rep for a shoulder enchant I need lol (hee hee but Liri's score is 445.1 4^_^) cheers

Have to agree with Id though...fast gear doesnt exist-had a noob ask me where to buy my staff >.< If you haven't gotten the T7 pieces you can get through badges yet, it might be a good idea to invest in that until you get possible better gear available in the more difficult raids. But it's also smart to try and get the pieces from heroics so that you don't get smooshed by big scary things...like Naxx Sad

I've tried running Maly once, painful painful experience but not impossible---but Maly or not it is coordination that is key, but I've found some pretty good pug raid groups surprisingly though-not the smartest thing to do, but I've met plenty of capable players that way ^_^
Lirixia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokeGSU on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:39 pm

Hmm... 286.77 rating. I r lacking :p
SmokeGSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 am

tank set- around 469?? i think??
dps set- around 445-450ish?

(I only dps when forced)
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Svander on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:43 am

One thing I recently picked up which is pretty cool is the new tanking sigil for 15 heroic badges. I was already over 540 defense, but this lets me re-allocate some stats elsewhere. It procs and gives you 11 defense pts for 30 sec every time you hit Icy Touch - which of course is every single fight - so I lowered myself to 535 and it puts me at 546 when it turns on.

Looking at your stats on the audit, you have +12 armor kits on all your stuff instead of +defense enchants. That would be one thing you should try and fix. The site recommends what enchants you should be trying to get instead. There are +defense stats for chest, bracers, cloak, at the least. Free up enough defense and you can put something to add parry or damage onto your weapon instead of the defense rune.

Juggling your defense around to still be capped but pick up some +hit so you aren't missing strikes will also help your threat and dps a bit.

Svander

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:10 pm

The thing about defense for a DK is that over capping is ok in fact its great seeing as your ice bound fortitude is strengthed by over capped defense. So I'd still argue to stack alot of defense if you can afford it. I know I'm happily sitting at 552.

And as forthe defense rune, that thing is OP if you are tanking that rune should be on your wepon if not for the defense but also for the 2% health buff. You can throw dodge and parry gems on things but honestly I don't worry about that as much as defense and health. Hit rating is icing on the cake if you are at about 6-7% hit. Sure it helps but your main purpose is to take hits so think survival.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top