Search
Poll
Gallery

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:43 pm

[Spoilers!] Opinions on Wrath of the Lich King?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Spoilers!] Opinions on Wrath of the Lich King?

Post  Droxia on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:06 pm

So.

Spoilers ahead. This whole thread is nothing but spoilers. There you've been warned.

Now for the thread.

I'm sure some of you are death knights, some of you are leveling and some of you have your reasons for not going forward with the next expansion.

Considering it's been a few days since release (and I'm ahead of schedule - I had to stop leveling to allow a friend to catch up - hence why I'm posting all of the sudden) what are your opinions of Wrath?

I really love the view of Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills. I'm really glad I went that way instead of Borrean Tundra (and it looking like Westfall 2.0) Dragonblight looks...bleak, but cold.

I did snoop around other zones, didn't get to see much of Zul'Drak yet, but I hope to change that this week. I also rolled a Death Knight just to give it a whirl. I'm probably the only one who doesn't have a real feel of it, as something of the spells so far just make me feel like I'm just bashing buttons till mobs fall over.

Yes I know, that's all we do, but with other classes I know how they "feel." The instacast of Fireblast from a mage, or death coil from a lock. The rush of charging as a warrior, or casting Chain Heal as a shaman. I haven't gotten a good "feel" of my Death Knight yet. Eh, probably more research is in order

OH and Dalaran. If you haven't been there - is very...mage like. I get a weird Prince of Persia - East Indian feel to the town. Only Lavender.

That's all the good stuff. The bad stuff...

So far I've found 2 quests that have bugged out. Maybe a third, but I Think there were too many people camping the spot. One got hotfixed I believe. Mob stealing sucks. At 74 I'm just NOW replacing gear - but barely. I think when I leave Dragon Blight and Grizzly Hills this will change.

The Airplane Daily quest when the horde are doing their portions stinks.

Yes I've started my rep grind for factions however I have one weird feeling. Anyone feel they're just going to hit 80 and not have something to do (other than raid?) So far Novembertwentyfifth the guild (aka the ex SK Gaming and Nihilium) have beaten all the content. They cleared Naxx and the 3 single boss raid instances. Two days since release.

Ok. Loaded thread over. Opinion time now. Go.

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Spoilers!] Opinions on Wrath of the Lich King?

Post  Ulalume on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 pm

I hope this isn't too far off topic. But I rolled a DK and this kinda relates to your concern about the feel of the class as will as illustrates how i feel about the expansion.
Death Knights turn me on. They are unstoppable tanks that can self heal and Dot/ Aoe / melee everything to death. Each spec is perfectly balanced to allow players to have great defense stats, self heal, and hit HARD! I'm unholy specc right now at it fits me very well. I get to command a pet that can charge and stun. One of my Aoe attacks is automatic (I have about 3-4 aoes) and death strike allows me to leach heal back form what I'm owning in the face. I have almost zero down time after aoeing about 3-4 mobs at once. Not only that but we get some really neat abilities like path of frost (it allows you and party members to mount up and travel on top of water (mixed with my unholy aura which is a 15% speed bonus we fly over the water)). However, when you get more abilities you'll find that the spell rotations are delicate. Runes and runic power limit what you are going to do. Often times I find myself dealing with split second descions on if i want to heal myself or deal out damage. You have to be very aware of what is on cool down and what diseases are up. It can get rather complex but once you get the hang of it you realize you have so many advantageous opportunities in the fight. The MNR DK's can wreck through some of the BC instances pretty easily with little to no heals if we aren't being reckless. Lastly, one of the best things about being a DK is in fact the starter quests. You get one of the first experiences of phasing in the game. The quests make you feel like you have made an impact on the world and you really experience the DK quest line. In short DK FTW!!! I just turned 68 and so I'm off to NR to see if i can handle it out there (I know you have your doubts elenn).
Ulalume

Location : Breezing through Ulduar while reasearching the next patch.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keljaedon on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

lol, I still like the group quests of 3 needed and we can just go in with one our DK's as an ARmy of one to clear it out. *sheds at tear* Frost Death Knights also get my Mojo going. Sad Two levels away and I'll be in North Rend, look out Wrath Gate Razz
Keljaedon
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:01 pm

I rolled a Rogue so I cant read. Which helps because leveling up with your a$$ requires speed. Ill read lore when I hit 90.....
phantom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Quit being an a$$, it's bad enough you're SOOOO SLOW while leveling and I have to wait for your nub playstyle to hurry up (I should ve 76 by now...the things we do for our friends)

ok ok, Actually since you're really the WoW Baby of all of us, what's your opinion since for you this is your first MMO (and venture out of the FPS/Racing world.)

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 am

I like Northrend %23495243 better than outlands. There is scenery and fun quests to help the grind up to 80. I still have not read many quests or picked up on any lore since I am in a hurry.
phantom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:10 am

Id, this is relevent, you're fine.
Elenn, have you tanked as Elenn (or have you DPS'd your way with Elenn?)

Phantom is Phantom and I get to gripe to him face to face.

Add to my list of gripes that "I really want to fly"

The quests are fresh, I like them a lot. I have to agree with Phantom as we were talking about the quest "Doing your Duty" If there is one quest I would like not spoiled for anyone it's that one. Ok...to know what I'm talking about, go quest in Grizzly Hills.

I also like the new "Riding" mechanic for machines and mounted objects. I'm very glad they added an interface to replace your standard 1-6 keys. With nice big icons. Death Knights you saw a glimps of this with the horse quest.

Ugh. Even though I'm a PvE carebear at heart, I can't wait to get to wintergrasp to ride in a steam tank.

And motorcycles. If there was one reason to give my deathknight engineering (or work on a new alt with engineering) It's gotta be motorcycles.

And the idea of 20k sucks, but I got to use someone elses' Mammoth with repair and vendor people already built in. highy convienent. maybe not for a raid instance (as you'd have to ride out side and find mountable ground) but man talk about handy.

sigh, only 20k to go...(the only money I have is for cold air flying, which is easily obtained through questing and getting rid of old gear from my different builds.)

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Droxia wrote:

sigh, only 20k to go...(the only money I have is for cold air flying, which is easily obtained through questing and getting rid of old gear from my different builds.)

O_O I would never get rid of my off spec gear until I had other items to replace it. Who knows when they'll nerf my spec and i have to switch. PLUS a shammy is a hybrid class the more options you have the more valuable you are. Even if you are lvling that 70 gear is still worth something if you had to change specs on the fly for an instance.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Currently I have no need for +crit spell gear. While it is stronger and I can mix some of it, I'd rather have mp5 gear for healing (Shaman don't benefit from spirit unlike other classes - if you see a shaman with a spirit enchant or spirit in his gear feel free to point it out and laugh at them.) Unless Elemental DPS improves I'm more than likely NOT going back. Enhancement got new toys to play with in their talents, same as resto. All Elemental got was a new spell at 75 (which I got last night and I'm not that impressed with) and a knockback that isn't useful in a 5 man or raiding environment.

If I find mail, I do compare it and see if it's an upgrade for healing gear. It's the nuking gear I don't care for anymore (but I do try it - resto shams benefit from Int a lot.) If nuking gear has sockets I'll try it.

Speaking of which I healed for the first time since Kara last night. It was for the new instance Azjol-Nerub. We did both old kingdom and new. one is way short the other is way long (I liked the short one.) I think the long one was long because...it just was.

In both cases for trash I was ok. For Boss fights...I was glad I had a mana pot (and there were too many times where I don't think I did well...I went oom to fast.) I wouldn't mind doing it again, but stupid respec fees are stupid. I also keep forgetting that as resto, when I get the one talent that helps me "clense" that I can cleans poison, diseases and curses! I used it a bit in Kara and remembered at the last minute.

So far boss fights have all been pretty unique. A bit crazy...but unique.

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Svander on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:10 am

Neat, I havent done a single Northrend instance yet. Not even Utgarde Keep. Pretty easy compared to BC heroics?

Svander

View user profile http://fiercepancake.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thinger on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 am

Droxia wrote:Shaman don't benefit from spirit unlike other classes - if you see a shaman with a spirit enchant or spirit in his gear feel free to point it out and laugh at them.

I know that feeling. Paladins don't get any spirit love either.

Svander wrote:Neat, I havent done a single Northrend instance yet. Not even Utgarde Keep. Pretty easy compared to BC heroics?

Took a group into the Nexus the other day (all in our 70 gear, had two 71s in the group), it was pretty simple. We had one wipe on the final boss because we didn't understand that you have to KEEP MOVING or you get locked in chains that kill you affraid

Nacci had another group ask her to go in at 72, apparently they had some trouble (3 wipes on trash, 2 wipes on first boss, group fell apart). So I guess the answer to the question is, if you were well geared before the expansion you should be fine going through. Difficulty rating would be around H-Steam Vaults (pretty easy, nothing surprising, don't be an idiot and you should be fine).
Thinger

View user profile http://midnight.evilmag.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 am

No one (that I know) is 80 yet. Darktimes, Zei, and Myself are halfway. The MNR crew are all rolling DK's at the moment. Thorgal and Amali are just now getting into the expansion.

Everything I've mentioned has been regular dungeons at the appropriate times. I'm really afraid to see what they would be like in Heroic mode.

Utgarde keep really is the "starter" dungeon of Northrend. Bosses weren't too bad, just use your head.
The Nexus was...a bit medium for time and difficulty. Two bosses in there that get my goat is the blood elf and the final boss (won't say much on the final boss because...well you'll see.)

Azjol-Nerub both Upper Kingdom, and Old Kingdom were different. Very different, for boss fights. Upper Kingdom is supershort and you really have to know your lore to take the mobs down in there (the group I was with last night said something was wierd - as someone who played WC3, it made sense with certain mobs.)

and yes I'm being vague for spoiler reasons.

Old kingdom was long. I think because we lost our tank partway and we didn't know hwere to go. It went well and makes me wonder what would have happened if we were all 75/76 (Thorg was 72/73? Motnahp and Myself werew 74 (and I leveled to boot!) Dark Times was 75 and I think our tank was 75.)

Final boss was cool and in someways I think a nod to H.P. Lovecraft. Oh and if you find the quest in there through a drop, take it immedietly.

I'm kinda looking forward to Violet Citadel and Drak'Tharon. It's nice going into an instance you haven't experienced yet.

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:27 am

Thinger wrote:
I know that feeling. Paladins don't get any spirit love either.
Which is why I rolled a pally. Remember Thinger, I rolled a pally so that way when I get at your case I know what I'm yelling at you for. (Unlike the stupid ring suggestion I gave you - the other reason why I rolled a pally.)

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:15 am

Droxia wrote: The MNR crew are all rolling DK's at the moment. .
We all have one but not all of us are treating our DK as out mains. I think that Nacci (72), Thinger(72), and Ledge (73) are all keeping thier pre WotLK mains. I know that Ully (69) is my new main and Elenn is pretty fascianted with his DK (who is prob 70 by now (/wrists)) so I think thats it for people re rolling as DKs.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keljaedon on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:14 am

For real, I play a level 70 DK, Will be either 71 or 72 tonight cause I am a level whore.
That and I already leveled my Room mates toon to pretty much 80 on the down times he had to work >.> So I know where certain quests are. *Quest helper is a joke at this point* Rolling Eyes ALSO! ICE CROWN is a GOD! I am now in love with WOTLK after questing there. It has made the game for me, no sarcasm...It's true. IT'S one of the greatest zones EVAR. I love Blizzard Smile

Borean Tundra is a whore, everyone is pvping there. It makes Battlegrounds look like a defenseless Rabit. People realllllly hate the OP class >.> On another note of Over powered DK's, we like, Two mannned Uveros in Shadowmoon....was funny. Even though we were only lvl 67-68 in greens, we managed to get the job done.

Oh yea, My Deathknight's name is Korune. Add him if you wanna roll with a true DK Razz
Keljaedon
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:38 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if (other than the power) Elenn is doing it to see how a DK tanks and DPS's

That aside. Lake Wintergrasp. OMG. Talk about PvP fun. Yesterday I was able to drive each of 3 types of vehichles. Pick up a rocket launcher to take one down, but the biggest thing I noticed was that I got about 2k honor out of all of it in an hour.

Did I forget to mention I was killing 80's while in the vehicle and I picked up 2 achievements?

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 am

Keljaedon wrote:

Oh yea, My Deathknight's name is Korune. Add him if you wanna roll with a true DK Razz

Pfft real DK's are nightelves that know how to dance.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keljaedon on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 am

I fought the Lich King Today, Have you? No. Check the Gallery, Took a screen shot Razz
Keljaedon
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:14 am

Keljaedon wrote:I fought the Lich King Today, Have you? No. Check the Gallery, Took a screen shot Razz

I couldn't see you fighting the Lich king anywhere all I saw was korune riding the failboat.
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:11 pm

He's a gnome, he'll really be fighting Arthas's cracked toenails.

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keljaedon on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:30 am

It's on now SHAMMY! Did I mention I also have Shammy like abilitys? I can haste the raid and I can give STR and Agility to raid like members...Now I just need to harvest the soul of someone who can cast Heroism and I am set. Who needs Shammys? OHHHHHH
Keljaedon
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Imitation crab is still imitation.

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:31 am

Sometimes the imitation is healthier for you with enhanced flavor Wink
Back to the topic at hand.

I LOVED the Borean Tundra quests. I liked saving all of the animals compared to slaughtering them (I know ironic coming for a death knight). Also I liked the quests that sent people out to the ruins that were off the coast of the tundra; I thought it was well themed and beautiful. The Tundra itself departed from anything I had seed in the game before (minus the 3-4 westfall like quests). AND I wasn't plummeting off of a cliff every two seconds. I just got to DragonBlight with Ully and I have to say I like that area as well. It's very deathknighty and foreboding. Also it actually looks like some kind of winter land unlike winterspring with cartoony spruce trees and purple tinted snow that is too bright to look at.

Last edited by Idhrenniel on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Droxia on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:41 am

keyword being sometime.

However, I'd rather have the real deal than something fake. Imitation suger, imtation crab, imitation breasts, no thank you. Give me the real deal over fake any day of the week.

yes, I went there.

Droxia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulalume on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:48 am

Droxia wrote:keyword being sometime.

imitation breasts

yes, I went there.

I thought I had no tact lol!
Ulalume

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top